Friday, June 24, 2011

June 24th, 2011: Flavor Infused Vodka




I got off of work a couple of hours ago. It wasn't a long day timewise, but I felt beat by what I had dealt with and it felt like the hours just dragged on. After dealing with minimal sales and awkward customers taking a lot of time, I could only pride myself on the fact that I took care of each of them in the best way that I could. But, because my numbers were lacking, badly, I really longed to get drunk after work tonight. Luckily a bunch of time with my lady friend, Blair, helped clear up some of those morose feelings and the news that Toki (the he/she rabbit)* is no longer as sick as she used to be. But, as anyone who knows me and any regular reader of this blog can tell you, I enjoy a drink or two on the occasion of... well, any time I can. Unfortunately I've got a meeting at 7:30 in the morning. So, I can't really down a 5th of Admiral Nelson and sleep it off all day tomorrow in a stupor of melancholy. So, I settled for something like this: Ron Solera from Bicardi (picture). I did a couple of shots and then embarked on an interesting experiment: Vodka Infusion.

The Bacardi Ron Solera is, honestly, one of the best rums I have tasted in ages. Its bright flavor is sweet and the follow isn't too difficult, though a bit sharp, its overall feel was smooth. Mixing it into soda takes away much of its complexity and makes it taste like Bacardi Anejo or simply Bacardi Dark. But, it's a good rum. Highly recommended.

In anycase, I bought some mason jars, some Hershey's Kisses and some Runts. I'm making some flavor infused vodkas. The flavors I'm make are thus: Banana Runt, Grape Runt, Strawberry Runt, Honey Herb Green Tea, Chocolate and Frank's Redhot. I'm canning them and letting them sit in the basement for a week. I'll shake them everyday and then, come Friday, I'll filter them and then label and store them in mason jars. Epic fun!
*PS, funny news: the baby-girl Toki Wartooth, well, it turns out that she has testicles. A few days ago Blair and I noticed some odd skin between her legs, and well... yesterday, she finally cooperated (in her sick lethargy) enough to let me pick her up and flip her... well, guess what! She has balls! She is a he, but I'm so used to calling her "her" and she will continue to be a girl... poor Toki.

No comments:

Post a Comment