Monday, August 1, 2011

August 1st, 2011: Salsa Poached Eggs and Grits


So, I got this recipe from Beth over at Budget Byes, a fantastic blog full of amazing recipes. Though mine didn't turn out looking anywhere near as good as hers, it was still a good meal. I started by frying some garlic and onions in olive oil in one my pans. After the onions achieved transparency and the garlic became perfumey I added diced tomatoes, salsa verde, which I used in place of her canned chilies, and tomato paste and brought it to a boil.

Obviously, the next step was to start the grits and then poach the eggs. It took a total of 40 minutes for me to cook. Bri, the friend whom I was cooking for, enjoyed it. It unfortunately looked pretty poor, but tasted fantastic. I felt like the eggs were overcooked, but she liked them just fine. I ended up with 2 extra servings, which I'm offering to my roommate for breakfast and I'll probably finish the last one tomorrow for lunch. It was an inexpensive way to make an "elegant" meal, but it made entirely too much food. Another aspect that I absolutely loved was the fusion of southern cuisine, mexican cuisine and french cuisine. A sort of melt of Louisiana and the southwest. I loved it. But, god... I wish I was better at food photography. I gotta work on that.

Thanks to Beth and Budget Bytes!

No comments:

Post a Comment