Saturday, April 2, 2011

April 2nd, 2011: NEW PANS!

Well, I'll put up a post about my Friday Burgers when I can (which will most likely be Sunday the third, cause this weekend has been insane!) but for now I want to post this: I got the pans from my parents and am extremely proud of the fact that they're well used Revereware pots/pans to the point of absurdity. The one thing that makes little sense is a pan from my Father's college days.

He claimed, throughout the day, that the pan was great for cooking meat, corn and... other things. It's an interesting piece and I assume that I'll use it for cooking omelettes in the future, but I think it's a very interesting piece. It looks almost like a military pan and I'm very interested in it. As far as the other pieces go, they're Revereware that I recall my mother cooking with, only they're my grandmother's. I annoyed the hell out of girlfriend by proudly walking into the living room with the saute/frying pan and lid and proclaiming "this is my favorite pan!" through out the evening. She even got terse when I placed it on the end table in a manner suggested it belong there. We argued, shortly, and the pan was placed back in the kitchen. I resented her for taking my "favorite" pan and lid away from me, but ultimately forgave her as I sunk into a glass of Meyer's Rum and a DVD of Venture Brothers.

I didn't get the cast iron that I thought my mother would bring, but the Revereware presented have made me more than pleased. I can't wait to cook my burgers in steel, rather than Calphalon non-stick. Besides, I can simply buy a cast iron at Target for around $20 to use. So, given what was presented to me, who cares about cast iron?!

As long as I find myself in the kitchen I'm completely comfortable, but outside of my kitchen I'm terrified that I won't find a job... especially since I've decided I want a new body Wrangler (white, Unlimited, quarter doors, five [edit:six] speed [edit: I often forget that Daimler Chrysler altered the Jeep design so much in 2005, I know it's a 6 speed Benz box in them now and I totally forgot about the old 5 speed Puegot Mush Boxes. My Jeep will need to be stick, so it'll be the newer Benz style six, instead of the old mush box] , V6) when I get a professional job.

That oddly divided pan from my father's days in college seemed oddly familiar to me. When I thought about it, it had a strange militaristic feel to me. I bust into my old "survival" gear and found these. A "skillet," divided serving dish and mug. I was instantly transplanted into a place where I drank coffee out of a canteen bottom and breakfast out of an odd apparatus I wouldn't call a plate or a skillet. In Boyscouts we actually used surplus gear like this to cook/serve in. My Father's old pan reminded me of that, but I doubt it'll ever be used in such a utilitarian manner again.

PS. Fresh pressed coffee served in that canteen shaped "mug" on the far right was some of the best coffee I've ever had, the grilled spam I ate out of the "plate" on the left... not so much. I often miss my time in the Boy Scouts.

No comments:

Post a Comment