Monday, April 25, 2011

March 9th, 2011: Drunk Ass Fajitas


Mexican Wednesdays? Why? I have no idea, for some reason I feel that Ghost Hunters on Sci-Fi is best when I am munching on La Bamba. But not a Wednesday goes by that I don't make something or go out and eat something Mexican. It's probably my favorite cuisine. I spent the walk home from class talking to my mother about Mexican food and what kind of meat to use in Fajitas and what not. Well, first step was to marinate the meat, which if I recall correctly was a top round instead of the traditional skirt steak. Both cuts are somewhat tough and require a diagonal cut and marination to soften them up to enjoyable levels. My mother and I discussed this at length that day, I went on to talk to a friend of mine who is a Professional Chef about it later that night. Odd, I talk about food too much. I just have to get my marinade out of the boxes and bottles and into the pan to soak into the meat. I roasted the peppers and crushed the garlic. Unlike Vince Schlomi, I cracked my garlic like a man. Sorry, Vince. Why do I even have a Slap-Chop anyway? I think the people who lived here before me left it behind. In my marinade, the only liquid used was Tequila. I like to do a shot with my food while I cook it, unfortunately, I forgot that I hate Tequila straight. Not cool. It was at this time that my top round became more drunk than a sorority cheerleader at Mardi Gras. I'm talking Girls Gone Wild drunk.

Vince's way. The real way. Now, Fajitas are awesome for a couple of reasons, my favorite of which is that with the right peppers, they look like a Mexican flag, which is totally bad ass. The other reason that I love them is that they take a fairly underrated cut of meat and turns it into mouth wateringly tender strips of taste explosions. How long can I wax poetic about fajitas? I chopped up my veggies into what I call the Mexican Mirepoix. When I started cooking the meat, it was quite the sight. The steam and fumes coming off the pan were noxiously alcoholic, it actually stung my eyes and within a few seconds, my entire kitchen stank of boiling tequila. It was quite fun.

All that was really left was cooking the veggies with the meat and wrapping it up and making my rice. The rice was just regular old La Preferida Mexican Rice. I wrapped it up put a dollop of sour cream on it and some cheese and it was done. I thought about it while I ate them and watched television, and I think that fajitas are one of the few tortilla based Mexican foods that isn't just meat, cheese and veggies on a corn or flour tortilla. What a subtle Jim Gaffigan reference. I finished up my Fajitas and hit up Blue Line in downtown Bloomington to play their open mic. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment