Sunday, March 27, 2011

February 17th, 2011: Pork Tenderloin with Skillet Roasted Potatoes


Unfortunately, this post is going to be a bit odd. Seeing as I only have pictures of the finished product and how simple it was, this'll be a short one. I don't remember what possessed me to buy pork tenderloin on my grocery shopping trip, I really don't. I'd had an aversion to pork products that aren't bacon or ribs most of my life, I didn't like how boring pork chops are, or how tough. I didn't like how fatty ham tasted without being bacon-like. So I avoided them to the point of making up an allergy to them. I had finally gotten out of eating my mother's pork chops and I couldn't have been more pleased (sorry, mom, but they were pretty dry).

So, why would I make pork tenderloin now? It was weird. My first step was to address the dryness of pork that I don't like. How do you prevent dry turkey on Thanksgiving? Brine it! Thank you, Alton Brown. I'll do that to the pork. How else can I solve this issue? Braise it. So, I tried to make a brine, but it failed. I ended up making more of a marinade. The pork spent about 5 hours in it. In the end, it did solve some of the issues, but the pork still turned out a bit tough. So, I braised it in beef stock (is that weird?) for a while, then slathered it in Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue sauce and seared it to get a good "que" taste going on.

The potatoes were simply seasoned and cooked in the same pan as the pork. It was a wholly unremarkable meal that I just felt fell horribly short of my expectations and hopes. I was surprised, though, by the fact that I ate and enjoyed the pork. I had now added a previously despised meat to my pallet and I had tried (slightly successfully) a new cooking method that I'll have to suggest to my mother when I remember.

Wait.... did I get this idea from this South Park episode? A bit of a warning, in this video there's SEVERAL VERY NOT SAFE FOR WORK references, acts and phrases.

No comments:

Post a Comment