Wednesday, August 31, 2011

August 27th & 28th, 2011: German dinner and Margarita chicken

So, I'm doing this update from a phone.  It won't be the most eloquent post and will have some spelling errorals.  The first meal is a very traditional German dinner that I made with a good friend of mine.  While he made Chicken Schnitzel with a mushroom and red wine sauce, I made speatzal to go along with it.  There were also spiced potatoes.  The end result was a very traditional German dinner.  Schnitzel is essentially tenderized, breaded and pan fried meat, similar to Chicken Fried Steak.  Chicken Fried Steak was derived from Schnitzel and is popular in areas with a large German immigrant population.  Speatzel is a German pasta dish made similar to Italian Gnocchi and sauteed in butter.  Cooking with Tim was amazing and I look forward to meeting up with him again to cook some delicious food.  It was a great dinner shared with people I love.

The next day I cooked dinner for my parents.  My mother is excited that I'll be moving back in with them.  Living with Blair isn't working anymore. Alternating not sleeping with crying or drinking myself to sleep doesn't work.

On the way to my parents house I came up with a.good dinner. Margarita chicken with beer battered asparagus and potatoes.  The chicken was marinated in tequilla, triple sec, lime juice, cilantro and garlic.  The beer batter was made using Rogue Dead Guy Ale and the usual spices.  My parents loved it.  The potatoes were just cooked in chicken broth.  My dad didn't like the potatoes.  Well, he liked them, but barely ate them, due to the fact that growing up in a German/Irish household: boiled potatoes were a nightly staple.  He's eaten normal old potatoes so much growing up, he can't do it anymore.

So, soon I'll be cooking two or three nights a week for my family, work permitting.  I'm looking forward to seeing my family more often and being able to be there when my nephew is born.  And I'll switch back to using the T3 for pictures when I can.  Sorry about all the spelling errors.

Pics to follow.



German Dinner:





Margarita Chicken



No comments:

Post a Comment