Monday, May 2, 2011

May 02, 2011: Due Date for Final Project

Well, it's the end of an era with this blog. I didn't get to quite make as many meals as I would have liked and the professional grading my cooking garnered was far less than complimentary. About the only thing I feel confident about is that I can roast walnuts... and make burgers. I'm'a a burger god. But the fact is, this semester has been very powerful, in a culinary way, for me. Be it Barbara Kingsolver laying a guilt trip on me to eat local and fresh produce and meat, Micheal Ruhlman amping up my excitment to go to culinary school at ICC (which I'm not, if I do a culinary career track, I'll just do apprenticeships) or Tom Naughton further confirming my cynicism of Morgan Spurlock. This semester has been a growing experience that helped me stay afloat at times when I felt like I couldn't and helped me learn more about myself. While I can't justify spending the extra money to go to Whole Foods or Naturally Yours, thanks to Barbara Kingsolver and Micheal Pollan I'll be spending money on locally grown food at the Farmer's Markets around here, I feel that it is more important for me to purchase food that didn't travel thousands of miles than food that has a "story" as Pollan put it. Strangely, much like the food at Whole Foods, this semester has been a story and a new chapter is about to begin in less than a couple of days. I intend to maintain this blog, but I'm not sure how long I'll be able to maintain myself. At that point, we'll see exactly what I'll be doing. There are three avenues that I'll most likely end up walking down: the food industry, retail or grad school. So, we'll see exactly what I do. For now, though, I'm signing out and finishing up my finals. The next post will most likely be May 6th's Burger Friday. And beyond that, a meal out of Claire Robbinson's 5 Ingredient Fix cookbook. This chick is my favorite Food Network Host, hands down.

Well, enjoy the rest of your week, and I'll be seeing you again for Burger Friday.

Edit: I lied... I don't know why, but I made sloppy Joes last night. From scratch with no recipe what so ever. I just started throwing shit in a pan and low and behold: SLOPPY JOES straight from Lunch Lady Land (sorry about the poor quality, too make up for that, here's my favorite Adam Sandler bit: Cajun Man)! Well, not straight from lunch lady land, since mine kicked ass. In any case, I'll probably try my hand at beef jerky down the road, thanks to Alton Brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment