Saturday, May 7, 2011

May 6th, 2011: Burger Friday! Weird Ass Burgers!

This is the first "post class" post on this blog. Any it's not a great one. I truly wish that I had pictures and everything for the Sloppy Joes I made the other day, but... I don't. I made some lame burgers yesterday, and that's it. Right now, I'm watching My Best Friend's Girl and wondering... how did I go wrong with my burgers last night? Well... one way.

I planned to make some burgers with a mango topping and make a side for them that consisted of baked potatoes or fries or chips or potato skins or something. In any case, I ignored the potatoes. I can't say that it was really my fault that the side didn't get made, since I didn't get home to cook until a couple of minutes after I had to start the burgers.

So to start the burgers, I fried up some bacon. Oscar Meyer, which I had so I used, because it's kind of lame... but I haven't been able to find a new bacon brand since hearing about Smithfield's immigrant trading philosophy (see Food Inc). I had some onions and bell peppers chopped up to put into the burger. Unfortunately, cheese, peppers, onion and bacon makes a burger to unstable that it breaks apart in to the pan.

The topping that I made for the burger was a Mango-Lemon vinaigrette. I mixed one mago, diced, with the juice of one lemon, some cilantro (fresh out of my planter) and olive oil and then strained the dressing to make a topping.

Two patties stayed together and made edible burgers. Well, all pieces made edible burgers, but the first set was more like a hash. My girlfriend ate up the first set as part of her "no carb diet" while the second two patties made great burgers for me to eat. It was great! We ate them and enjoyed Anchorman and I Love You Man while I tried to prove to Blair that I wasn't too immature to enjoy The 40 Year Old Virgin, I still can't figure out how I'm too young to get that movie.

Also, this is the third time in one week that I have used a "mango" topping, because... let's face it: I didn't know what mango was before a week ago. I guess there's another fruit in my repertoire, now. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment