Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Saturday May 28th: Late Burger Day!

So, for burger Friday this week, I decided to make pulled pork. But, by the time I got around to it, I realized that the pork had to be brined. So, I put together a brine of salt, liquid smoke, pepper, grey mustard and ancho pepper. I brined the pork with three trays worth of ice in the brine to keep it cold enough to prevent the meat from spoiling. A little paranoid, but, whatever. After the pork was brined I dried it off with paper towels and then dry rubbed it with this.


I tried to cook the pork at 220 degrees in the cast iron but quickly found that it was stewing in its own fat, I had to elevate it to keep it from becoming greasy and braised. I don't own any cooking racks, so, after a few minutes of pacing the kitchen and trying to figure it out, I realized that it's similar to the warming/draining rack I used with the Chicken Fried Steak. I decided to try and make a makeshift rack out of foil. It worked. So I went back to cooking it, 4 hours later the pork was finished, so, while I let it cool and teared it I made some home fries. I served the pork on a bun, it wasn't a burger, but it was served on a burger bun. So, Burger Friday lives on... a day late. What a fun day. The pictures follow, they're pretty self explanatory.




No comments:

Post a Comment