Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May 24th, 2011: Celebratory Steak with Home Fries

In celebration of a job interview gone well (two interviews with the same place within an hour and then being told "just to be fair to the other applicants, we'll interview them and we'll call you tomorrow to let you know you got the job") I bought a porterhouse steak. I don't know a whole lot about steak, but... I'll give it a shot.

I rubbed both sides of the steak with salt and pepper, I figure I'd do it classic and not do anything that would taint the steak. I heated up some butter in my cast iron, clarified it and then threw the steak in. I chopped up some potatoes and pan fried them to make fries, too. After I finished cooking the steak to a juice medium rare, I took a bottle of wine I got for $3 (a 2008 Californian Chard) and poured it into the pan with the steak drippings. I let that reduce some, added some garlic and ancho pepper and then poured the drippings over the steak. Very delicious. I always forget that steak isn't my thing, but this time, with the reduction sauce, it was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment