Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11th, 2011: Southern Brinner


I came home from work and wanted to make myself dinner. I was thinking some sort of cheese stuffed roasted chicken. But, you know what? My chicken had gone bad. Terribly bad. It smelled like fish. But it was frozen, how is that possible? So, I improvised. I started by just making grits and going through the kitchen to find stuff. What did I have? Eggs, sausage, grits, bread, cheese, butter.... hmmm... not a whole ton. Taking a page from the show Scrubs, it was time to make Brinner. Breakfast for Dinner. And with sausage and grits, it was going to have a Southern feel to it. Why not make it Creole in a sense and poach an egg? BAM!

So, I cooked up the sausage. Browned it's top and bottom and then tossed it in the oven at 350 while I cooked the grits. The sausage is Meijer brand "fresh pork sausage" and it's really good. Has a lot of flavor without being to salty and it actually is the only sausage I've had in a long time that doesn't leave me with a bout of horrible horrible heartburn.

I poached the egg in about 2" of water at a rolling boil and it turned out to by my first successful poached egg. It turned out perfectly poachy. Awesome. The grits? I added a handful of cheese to them to give them a bit more texture and flavor. Turned out great.

I got a new lens for my camera, a 50mm fixed, colloquially known as the "Nifty-Fifty." It's a sweet lens because it's faster than my other three lenses, with a 1.8f aperture stop. It's sweet to be able to take pictures in the kitchen without the flash, but, I find the depth of field a little extreme at such a low aperture and the fact that I'm shooting on a T3 makes it somewhat aggravating. Since the T3 isn't a full frame camera, it actually shoots at 1.6x magnification through lenses, so my 50mm is really more like an 80mm, which means I'm having to step further back from the subject than I'd like to, which then makes depth of field control tricky with small subjects like food.

Hope this pics look good to ya'll... all two of them...

No comments:

Post a Comment