Thursday, September 8, 2011

September 6th, 2011: Burger Monday and Paula Deen Biscuits


Labor Day came and went this year with little pomp and circumstance to me, something that I can't recall whether or not my family spent a lot of Labor Days together. I remember Memorial Day picnics, but not necessarily Labor Day. I had the day off from work, so, I made some burgers. I didn't do anything too spectacular with them, I just threw together some quick burgers. Put some fries in the oven and made some classic corn on the cob.

It's been very challenging for me to really put together anything too spectacular these days, given the situation. I'm two weeks from uprooting my life to move back in with my parents, living with the girl I loved and trying my best to keep myself from coming apart at the seams. It's pretty hard. Sometimes making a nice meal reminds me of a better time, when good food and emotional prosperity was the norm. But, at other times, the same thing reminds me that I'm not cooking for anyone, anymore and that I'm pretty damn alone down here in the center state.

I used iceberg lettuce on the bottom of the burger to prevent the grease from the burger soaking the bottom bun. It worked, kept the bun from getting soggy. The burger was topped with Cheddar and Four Cheese Mexican, bbq sauce, onions and spinach. They were tasty. I ended up eating all three of them myself before going to sleep that night. Kind of sad.

After the burgers, I watched terrible movies. I think... I don't remember what all I watched, but, I watched something. Maybe it was a TV show. I don't know. I decided to make biscuits for no reason. I looked up a quick recipe for biscuits and ended up using Paula Deen's recipe. It was a very simple recipe, but I didn't have enough baking soda, so I used some self rising flour. It turned out ok.

I didn't have a pastry cutter... or a biscuit cutter... or any biscuit molds and couldn't find the cupcake pan, so I just hucked the dough onto a greased pan and called it a day. I baked that stuff for the allotted time and it was delicious. I say: better than KFC biscuits. It was great with some honey. But at the end of the night, I had about 7 biscuits sitting around, an extra corn cob, fries and a burger. It was kind of telling of how alone I am in this apartment and it makes me look forward to getting back up north with my family.
And that was a holiday spent by myself. Fairly innocuous, yet still poignant. Ah, well... How about a funny picture of how I thawed my ground beef out?

No comments:

Post a Comment