Monday, April 4, 2011

April 4th, 2011: Barbara Kingsolver inspired Asparegus

So, today in class, we talked about asparagus as length. Truth be told, all I really know about it is that it makes your piss stink... or is that an urban legend? Anyway, after doing a few updates to the blog I thought about asparagus and how Kingsolver's experience in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle as a child was much like mine. She talks about not trying it but assuming that she would not like it as a child and later trying it as a teenager only to find that it was great. So, I took to Meijer to buy some. And it's currently cooking. I'll be back after I eat it to tell you what I think.



Well... I gotta say, it isn't nearly as bad as I always assumed it to be. It's bland, but has some sort of odd undertone I can't place. I'm not keen on it, but I don't hate it. Some garlic-butter would really wake it up. Quite honestly, I'd rather eat the onions I used to help cook it.

Edit: I'm going to throw a clove of garlic in with, plus some butter and more stock and steam it in that. We'll see how I like it then. It seems that if I found the right flavors, I could LOVE this stuff. So, I'll be back. Edit: Son of a bitch, my garlic went bad. It's like two months old. Well, garlic powder it is, then.

Ok, it's cooking, so... I'll look up some asparagus recipes, see if I can find anything good. I've also gotta scour my cookbooks and some burger websites. I bought some ground baby cow (I was raised by a woman who was raised on a farm, so I have no qualms with where my food comes from) and I gotta figure out how to prepare my baby cow burgers for Friday.

Here is a good recipe: Bacon Wrapped - but that's just cheating. You could wrap a truck tire in bacon and people would eat it.

This quasi-live blog thing is pretty interesting, but without many people reading, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I guess I've just read too much Hyperbole and a Half. I hope the asparagus finishes cooking soon. When next I edit/update, I'll be eating my asparagus, again.

Final update: meh. It tastes good because of what it was cooked in, not because of what it is... ultimately disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment