Monday, April 4, 2011

Friday April 1st, 2011: "French" Onion Burgers

Who's gonna get his Friday Burgers on?! Gotta get down on Friday! So, you'll find as the legacy posts keep going up and I break chronological order to talk about ridiculous things that I almost always make burgers on Fridays and often make Mexican on Wednesdays. Why is that? Is it cause those are great foods to get drunk while you eat/cook and Wednesday and Friday are great drinking days? That can't be it... Wednesday isn't a good drinking day....

I got it! As I was growing up, we almost always had burgers on Friday nights! Literally, every Friday of my life going as far back as I can remember has always been either hamburgers, tacos, fajitas or sloppy joes for dinner, followed by the mandatory gathering of the family around the TV to watch TGIF... well, until everyone grew up. Or they moved The X-files to friday nights. And my parents started watching Homicide: Life on the Streets. What was the Fox Sunday lineup before the X-files moved? Or am I thinking of the switch backwards? Anyway, off topic! That's the reason that I eat burgers almost EVERY Friday, sometimes home made, sometimes restaurant. Come to think of it, I do eat a lot of burgers, in general. I better look into that and see if I need to cut back.

The Mexican Wednesday thing is completely beyond me. I just arbitrarily cook Mexican food on Wednesdays. I have no idea why.

The burgers I made on the 1st were an odd concoction. I took my standard burger patties and sat in the kitchen going "what now?" Blair nixed my first idea of Gummy Bear stuffed burgers. I don't blame her. I went through the kitchen. I grabbed Grey Poupon, French Fried Onions, frozen white onions, barbecue sauce, Gruyère cheese and bourbon. So, I sweat out the frozen onions and then poured a bit of beef stock in with them. I was going to cook the burgers in this. My next step was the que sauce.
The sauce, if I recall correctly, was Miejer "Thick Barbecue Sauce" cut with half a bottle of Miller Life, two shots of Buffalo Trace Bourbon, a tablespoon of Habenero hot sauce, two tablespoons of Grey Poupon, some dried chipotle, french fried onions and a mixture of salt, pepper and other spices. The out come was a thick, flavorful sauce that worked well with what I came up with for the patties.

I cubed the Gruyère cheese and folded it into the meat with the rest of the spices I normally use. This time, I put about 1 tablespoon of Grey Poupon per patty into the meat to get that overall grey mustard taste, plus the hint of onion that it would pick up from the pan and the sauce and the Gruyère cheese, I thought the burgers were taking on a very "French" feeling. But that's assuming that Dijon mustard is French. In anycase, I effectively executed this and made a great Friday burger. Now, it was time to settle in with some Rebecca Black, Miller Lite and my sweet-ass burger.

PS. The X-files started on Friday and moved to Sunday... so I got confused. Also, that night marked the first time that Toki Wartooth took to affectionately jumping on the couch to be with Blair, a momentous occasion that further proves that if you put a rabbit in a pot it will resent you for a while. And yes, she is named after the guitarist in Dethklok.

No comments:

Post a Comment