Wednesday, April 27, 2011

March 18th, 2011: Burger Friday?! BBQ Wings & Corn on the Cob

It's Burger Friday, but I ain't making burgers? Why not? I don't know, I felt like doing some wings, I haven't had them in a while. Now that I'm catching this post up, I think I'll hit up Bee Dubs (or do you abbreviate BWW? Or should I just type it out: Buffalo Wild Wings) this weekend... if I have time. Or a designated driver... I always seem to go there and end up having one or two too many LaBatts. Damn their awesome tap prices!

So, this day was pretty great. Blair and I spent the day shopping and bought some liquor. We returned home and I proceeded to make dinner: Corn on the Cob with Buffalo Wings. Only, I wanted something more than Buffalo, cause they're just so bland to me. I prefer a better BBQ sauce.

I started by baking the wings, I don't have a fryer, so I had to compromise. I took the base Meijer Brand barbecue sauce and spiced it up to my levels. I added some ground chipotle, which I maced myself with in the food processor. I also added salt, pepper, redwine vineger, ancho powder and some habanero hot sauce. While the wings cooked, we watched a bit of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, specifically the Sicily and Azores episodes.

Corn on the cob is a food that I loved growing up and love to cook. It's easy, fast and delicious. I cook mine by dropping butter into a pot of water with some salt and pepper to season and butter it while it cooks. While silking the ears, I recalled a tool that I saw at Sur La Table or Meijer called a "corn silker" and all I could think was... what a useless tool. A solution for a problem that never existed.

So, while the corn cooked, the wings just finished, so it was time to sauce them. I did it the old fashioned way: giant metal bowl filled with sauce and wings thrown around. Yeah, I felt like a real pro at that point. So, I finished the wings up and came them a taste. The sauce was great, but the wings were pretty fatty. I tend to have that problem with food, I either buy meat that's got too much gristle or the fat doesn't cook out. Blair and I had the same opinion and just couldn't enjoy the wings to their fullest. They ended up being pulled chicken for sandwiches the next day. I guess that's what I get for forgetting about Burger Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment