Thursday, July 28, 2011

July 27th, 2011: Curry and such...


Mood: Antipathy
Listening to: Bowerbirds

Wow, remember that? Live Journal nostalgia time.

Well, right now, I'm running dangerously low on money (I'm talking about $15 more than I owe for rent in two days in my bank account), so, shits wack, yo. So, I doubt I'll be doing anything exciting in the next 9 days. I'm currently sitting on a fridge stocked with frozen white fish, two chicken tenderloins and a package of hotdogs... so, we'll see how I do.

Luckily, I have friends in low places where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases my blues away, I'll be ok. A friend of mine recently came back to the states after living in Japan for a couple years. I'm not one to gush over someone's international exploits or elevate someone simply because they're "cultured" and "worldly," so I won't. She brought back some curry with her, Coco's brand Pork Curry or something like that, and then picked up a package of Spinach and Potato Curry at the local Indian grocery store, which I didn't even know existed. Hmmm... interesting.

She described a meal that she'd had in Okinawa that was a plate half curry and half rice with a breaded piece of meat in the middle. I couldn't make sense of what the dish was supposed to be, I assumed the curry was, itself, a rounded piece of food, and less of a sauce. So, I decided I'd supply the chicken, since, well, I'm good at fryin' up meat like the country boy that I am. I breaded butterflied chicken breasts using a milk wash, panko crumbs and flour with some seasoning. Then I pan fried the chicken in my cast iron and then baked it to ensure it cooked all the way through. It went very well. Impressed, even, would be the word.

The curry was simply boiled in bag. I was a little disappointed in that fact, but, curry is hard to make. I feel like, aside from the chicken, this was a very "pre-made" meal, but, fuck was it delicious. I don't eat Indian food very often, because of my sensitive stomach. I once had to drop a class because of eating Indian food, but that's a story for another time.

The evening culminated in watching Archer and Home Movies with friends, cause... well... nothing goes better with Indian food than H. Jon Benjamin. Well, I guess he goes well with everything. Especially burgers. Cause... you know... he's like the second coming of Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment